Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reclaiming my space...

I thought I would go to bed early, but it didn't work out. I laid there in the semi dark frustratingly awake, while I was willing myself to go to sleep. My head couldn't handle these two conflicting messages and became confused and then the dog started to bark. 

That's when I got up and turned on the computer. What else is there to do? I've also made a pot of coffee, of course. I will be up for a couple of hours.  I'm yawning and slightly sleepy headed, but in a very pleasant way. I'm mellow and good natured. My feet are slightly cold, but the rest of me is toasty warm in my bathrobe.

I have the heater turned off and the bedroom window open. I figure it's springtime now and that's how it should be, even at night. It took a while for me to get warm in my bed, especially my feet, but I was warm enough by the time I got up again. 

It was so early when I went to bed, that I heard the birds sing their evening song through the open window. It was a pleasure to listen to. There is one bird in particular that has quite a repertoire. I heard it last year too and in the morning, but was unable to identify it, even when I went to the site of European songbirds and listened to all the different songs. 

I did the dishes today and all the laundry, but unfortunately was unable to hang any of the laundry outside to dry because of the rain. I at least want to hang the sheets and pillow cases outside to dry because it such a pleasure to have them on my bed when I change it. I would change the bed even more often if the linens had been dried outside. 

The stack of dishes didn't turn out to be such a horrible job. I first soaked them in a sink with hot soapy water while I had a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Then I tackled them with a scrub sponge and got them sparkling clean. I rinsed them and let them air dry and then put them away when I was in the mood for it. I made it as easy on myself as I could.

I washed the blanket that is always on my bed and it is amazing what a difference it makes. The animals always sleep on it and after I have washed it, it always looks fresh and brightly colored again. I really do get some satisfaction for my efforts. I use a very ordinary washing powder that came out best in the tests and that the Exfactor gets for me especially at the store he shops at.

I walked the dog in the rain. It wasn't cold out and I decided that a little bit of water wasn't going to hurt us. It didn't come pouring down. We got a little damp and Tyke's fur got curlier. I wish I could say the same for my hair. It only got stiff from the hairspray in it. I didn't get any curls, much as I would like them. 

The  rain must have released all sorts of smells because Tyke took a long time sniffing in all sorts of spots and was very difficult to move along. He stuck his nose into the grass very deeply and inhaled and kept inhaling. I thought he was going to have dandelions and daisies stuck up his nose. 

Now will be a good time to sit in my armchair and read my book for a while until I get tired. I'm more than halfway through it and it's getting very interesting after we have gotten through all the preliminaries. The net is being tightened. The possible subjects are being lined up and there are many clues. I like the role Havers plays in all of this. She does good detective work. 

I hope you all have a good night.



Twain12 said...

sounds like you had a good day...our snow that fell on the first is slowly melting again. I enjoy fresh laundry too. Doing laundry and hanging it out has never been a dreaded chore for me dishes is another thing, always hated doing them :)

HalfCrazy said...

Hey there!

It's 7 in the morning in here and I know this kind of feeling. That feeling, even though you're still very sleepy, you want to stay up and do whatever you can before anyone wakes up. It's peaceful and the only time of the day when I can have something to myself. Just doing what you wanna do.

I really don't wake up this early unless I'm off to school or work. I just got home from a house party.

Hope to see you around!

Bernie said...

I plan on going to bed early myself tonight. I did have a nice day, went to Mass, picked up a few groceries, met a friend for coffee at Tim Horton's then watched curling. Not quite but almost as nice as your day. My sister called me from home and we talked for an hour, love talking with her. Hope you sleep well......:-)Hugs

Wisewebwoman said...

We need pats on the backs for just doing the maintenance. Even with my dwasher I often don't unload and reload, I thought it would gather up the dishes and wash them and put them away, LOL!!
Sad you are not sleeping well, maybe tonight?