Saturday, February 26, 2011

It's officially Saturday again...


Having gone to bed early last night, I'm up early this morning too and drinking coffee and having myself a splendid time. I can't get enough of the early morning hours when everything is so peaceable and serene and I am the only person awake on the block. At least I assume I am. I thought I heard some noise in the stairwell earlier, but all is quiet now. No doubt that was a neighbor coming home from a late night out. The bars don't close until the wee hours of the morning and there are those stubborn enough to take advantage of that. 

I slept well between clean sheets with both the animals on the bed. This does not leave that much room for me, but I manage. I do wake up with a sore knee, but I would regardless. It always takes me a while to get over it after I've gotten up and it takes some time to get comfortable. I think Tyke lies in waiting for me to open my eyes, because he is always looking at me when I do and ready to be greeted. Gandhi is tucked in beside my pillows and looks like a little ball of fur.She doesn't get up when we do, but keeps right on sleeping. 

The first thing I do when I walk into the living room is turn on the computer and then walk into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. I try to measure the ground coffee properly into the filter so that I don't make it too strong and I succeeded today. It is just right and I was not too generous like I have a tendency to be. I very often over optimistically put in too much ground coffee and make it much too strong taking away from the good flavor of it. Strong coffee does wake me up, but it makes me thirsty too, causing me to have to drink cold milk for the quenching of it. 

When I first wake up, I always have visions of many good things to eat, but those disappear into the background once I've had my first cup of coffee. I could raid the cupboards when I first get up. I want to eat all sorts of decadent things, but I don't have those in the apartment anyway. Imagine if I had a box of cookies or bonbons. No doubt I would be tempted to eat those. I would be tempted to stuff my mouth with them before I had time to properly think about it. I do have a jar of Nutella and in a weak moment I have spoons full of that. Little teaspoons full. It's one of my deadly sins.

Since today is Saturday, it's going to be a day of freedom. I will walk Tyke several times and hang up a load of laundry, but I don't have much else to do. There are no 'ought to's' in my life today. There will be sports on television and then some inane programs that are not worth watching. Luckily there is an off button. The best thing to do is to sit down and read a book, which I have not taken the time to do and today would be the perfect opportunity. My armchair is a good place to hang out in. I will also take the necessary naps on the sofa and contemplate my navel. 

It's going to rain today and that will be a perfect opportunity to hibernate. I will have the lights turned on in the living room and be cozy. I do like the rain when I'm inside. There something very soothing about the rain when you're not in it. Besides, even if I were in it, it wouldn't hurt me very much, because I have indestructible hair. If it got wet, all I'd have to do is rub it quickly with a towel and it would be in shape again. It's not going to be very cold and we're in for some mild weather. I think winter is really over now.

Enjoying my own company is what it's going to be all about this weekend. Luckily, I'm in a good enough mood to do that. I don't feel any of the discomfort that I felt last week when I was not so stable. I've managed to get on an even keel since then. I'm okay again by myself.

I will go back to bed again shortly. There's lots of time to sleep still. I don't have to get the day started early. I can sleep late and my warm bed does call me. I've started to yawn and that is a sure sign that I need some more sleep. 

I hope you'll all have a good day.

Ciao,
Nora







6 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Dear Nora,

How delightful to read about your morning and planned day! So fun to see your kitty and puppy pictures too!!

I have a silly thought - Susan has to go to work at 11 at night - one of the first things she does is put the coffee stuff in the coffee maker so it is easy to stay the coffee for the clients in the morning.

If you really want to measure that coffee well, perhaps it would be good to do it at night and then you can just add water in the morning - just a thought - don't know how you do it and I don't drink coffee - so I don't know much.

Delightful to read about rain, lights, naps!!

Hugs,
~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.DianeClancy.etsy.com
www.zazzle.com/DianeClancyArt*

Bev said...

Having a spoonful of Nutella, a deadly sin lol I have heard it's very good for you, being full of cocoa and therefore iron.

I too am a coffee lover and appreciate your skilful writings on your love of coffee!

Irene said...

Bev, you've certainly made me feel better about eating Nutella. I'm sure the hazelnuts in it are very good too. Or so I tell myself.

I'm glad you think I write skillfully about coffee. It's my pleasure to do so. I'm an expert on it by now. I do miss my Senseo machine, though.

XOX

Irene said...

Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by. Your suggestion about getting the coffeemaker ready ahead of time sounds good, but it would require some fore thought that I'm not capable of. I'm not that organized and I do need coffee at all hours of the day and night in different amounts.It was a good idea of yours, though.

XOX

Unknown said...

I think if I had a jar of Nutella in the house it would be gone in a day, certain things I can't have around me as I don't have an off switch.
I'm glad you're greeting your day in your harmony with everything around you including those gorgeous creatures.
XO
WWW

Irene said...

Hi Mary, Nutella is very tempting, but it's the only sinful food I eat. The rest is healthy, so I forgive myself and so does my body. It is nutritious too, so it's not all bad.

It's nice of you to stop by. I hope you come by again.

XOX